Saturday, May 20, 2006

Book Recommendation(s)

So I don't have a specific book this time. What I would like to recommend is the reading of biographies of godly people who have gone before us. I have been much encouraged and strengthened in reading the biographies of people who have done much for God's kingdom in the past. Doing so also seems to be fitting with this verse: "Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. " (Hebrews 13:7) This verse is primarily written about those who have directly influenced our lives such as pastors and leaders who have helped us in our walk with Christ, but also seems reasonable for it to be applied to saints of the past. Three biographies I have read somewhat recently that have been a huge blessing are the biographies of Jonathon Edwards, George Whitefield, and William Tyndale. For those interested the corresponding authors of these biographies are George Marsden (I hear Iain Murray also has a good biography on Edwards), Arnold Dallimore, and David Daniell respectively. Edwards and Whitefield were both great preachers during the times of the Great American Awakenings in the 1700s. Tyndale was a contemporary of Martin Luther, and was the first person to translate the Bible into English so that it could be printed and distributed to all people. (John Wycliffe did translate the Bible into english before Tyndale, but at his time without the printing press they could only distribute copies as much as they were able to copy the translation by hand). Tyndale was martyred for making this translation, and while we can comfortably own as many enlish translations of the Bible as we desire, Tyndale spent his life fleeing persecution and eventually being executed so that we could have this luxury. Jonathon Edwards is well known for a list of "resolutions" he wrote when he was about 20 years old, I will close this post by quoting a couple of these resolutions he made.
His preface to his resolutions: "Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake."

"4. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.

5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

18. Resolved, to live so, at all times, as I think is best in my devout frames, and when I have clearest notions of things of the gospel, and another world(heaven).

22. Resolved, to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world (heaven) as I possibly can, with all the power, might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home